In medical terms, a stroke is defined as the sudden death of cells in the brain. It results due to a lack of oxygen. It usually occurs due to blockage of blood flow or rupturing of an artery going to the brain. Some of the most common symptoms that can point to a stroke are sudden loss of speech, feelings of weakness, and paralysis of one side of the body. A doctor may be able to confirm a suspected stroke by scanning the brain of a patient with special X-rays and CAT scans. With the right medical care, death rates and disability resulting from a stroke can be reduced significantly. With the right Ayurveda treatment for stroke, patients can achieve effective management of stroke and symptoms related to it. Ayurveda is considered one of the best treatment methods for stroke rehabilitation. Let us get to know more about stroke rehabilitation.
Is Stroke Rehabilitation Important?
Stroke rehabilitation is a process that involves helping people recover from the effects of a stroke and regaining as much independence as possible. The main objective of stroke rehabilitation is helping a patient regain their lost or impaired physical, emotional and cognitive skills, after a stroke.
There are different types of stroke rehabilitation. These include the following:
1. Physical therapy: It can vastly help a person improve their mobility and regain strength by using assistive devices such as canes and walkers.
2. Occupational therapy: It involves helping a patient learn how best to perform their daily routine activities such as dressing up, taking a bath or cooking food.
3. Speech and language therapy: Using such therapy, a person can improve their communication skills and regain their ability to speak comfortably, comprehend language and read and write easily.
4. Cognitive therapy: This therapy aims to improve memory function, attention span and problem-solving skills.
Usually, stroke rehabilitation begins at a hospital and may continue later as well after the patient stops availing of hospital care. The duration and extent of stroke rehabilitation depend upon the specific needs of a patient and the objectives of their treatment.
According to Ayurveda, stroke is referred to a disease called Pakshaghata, which results due to the improper functioning of the Vata dosha. In the human body, Vata dosha is responsible for sensory and motor-related functions. One can find internal medications as well as external therapies for post-stroke syndrome in Ayurveda. The treatment is based on restoring lost sensory and motor functions and increasing the supply of blood to the brain. The treatment also aims to restore the levels of Vata in the body.
Ayurvedic Therapies for Post-Stroke Rehabilitation and Recovery
Here are some of the best Ayurvedic therapies for stroke rehabilitation:
- Abhyanga: It includes massaging with the help of medicated oils
- Snehapanam: It involves the internal administration of medicated fats
- Swedanam: It includes fomentation using hot liquids or medicinal bolus
- Virechana: This is a type of therapeutic purgation
- Nasyam: In this, medicated oils are used for nasal installations
- Vasti: It is a type of enema therapy
Some of the medicines which are used for this purpose include Ksheerabala Thailam, Dhanwantaram Thailam and Maha Mashadi Thailam. A practised Ayurveda expert may also prescribe consuming Dhanwantara Kashayam, Ashtavarga Kashayam, Ashwagandharishta and Bala Arista. It is best to seek consultation from a qualified Ayurveda practitioner before beginning to consume these medicines on a daily basis.
Some traditional Ayurveda treatments such as Shirodhara or Shirovasti are localized to the head and may help in rejuvenating the damaged brain cells. Some of the best oils to use for these therapies are balaswagandhaditailam, dhanwantharam thailam and Ksheerabala thailam. Certain herbs such as Brahmi, Eranda, Lashuna and Ashwagandha are also quite useful for the treatment of symptoms occurring after a stroke.
Advantages of Stroke Rehabilitation through Ayurveda
Stroke rehabilitation is a long procedure that may take significant time to show results. But consistency and dedication can bring about effective results and show significant progress by improving the quality of life of a patient after a stroke.
The application of Ayurveda treatments for stroke rehabilitation makes the following difference to a patient’s journey after suffering from a stroke:
- Improves and restores neuromuscular functions of the body
- Strengthens the muscle tissues in the body
- Brings positive improvement in the quality of life of a person by making them capable of performing their daily routine activities without any hindrance.
At Ishani Ayurveda, you can get the best holistic care for stroke rehabilitation. The treatment protocol at the centre includes the use of herbal medicines, Ayurvedic therapies, yoga, physiotherapy, nutritional medicines and more. An expert team of Ayurveda physicians, physical medicine, physiotherapists and rehabilitation consultants are waiting to take extensive care of patients needing support after a stroke.
As the best Ayurveda treatment in Kerala for stroke rehabilitation, we invite you to visit us and seek the aid of practised professionals who can prepare customized treatment plans to suit your health condition. The unique combination of herbal medicines and complete body detoxification will help you improve your blood circulation and achieve a refined nervous system. With a few modifications to your lifestyle, you will be able to achieve a balanced recovery from a stroke.