An immune system is a vast network of cells, organs, proteins and tissues which is spread throughout the human body. Although weak at the time of birth, it is strengthened as we grow by being in constant interaction with various kinds of microbes in our environment and fighting against them. With the changes in seasons, the human body is prone to infections of different kinds which in Ayurveda is described as beej-bhoomi theory. As per this theory, if one’s body is accumulated with toxins(Ama) and has a deficit of vigour(Ojas), then the body is more susceptible to infections spread as the presence of toxins serve as a fertile place for microbes to flourish.
In Charaka Samhitha, immunity(Bala) is defined as the human body’s ability to prevent or hinder the furtherance of any disease by maintaining an optimal body condition. According to immunity in Ayurveda, the body’s immune system and its strength depend on a few different factors like Agni(Digestive Fire), Metabolism, Balanced hormone and healthy liver functions. The Ayurvedic concept of Bala can be distinguished as Sahaja Bala (Natural), Kalaja Bala (Chronobiologic) and Yuktikrut Bala (Acquired).
There are various treatment options available in Ayurveda that can help enhance immunity which includes consumption of Rasayana, capsules etc which are herbal decoctions that can help promote one’s overall well-being.
Factors that can help improve immunity in Ayurveda
- A balanced diet according to the dosha level of each person is crucial in effectively maintaining one’s immunity.
- The inclusion of various spices into the daily cuisine for their antioxidant capacity and reduction of cell damage is advised.
- Including detox practices like fasting or performing panchakarma treatment at least once a year will help to improve immunity.
- Consuming herbal decoctions like Rasayana.
- Including Yoga in daily practices will help improve immunity and overall well being.
- Keep yourself well hydrated – Consume warm water throughout the day which helps balance salt, fluid and mineral in our body.
- Start the day with Ginger tea with Tulsi and Pippali that helps strengthen the upper respiratory tract.
- Include turmeric and black pepper into the daily meals. It helps boost immunity as well as eliminate toxins from the body.
- Reduce the usage of processed meat or red meat.
- Include fresh amla juice in your diet.
- Intake of Chyawanprash which is a good Immune booster and antioxidant helps restore Ojas and thereby preserve stamina.
- Include seasonal fruits and vegetables in the diet for their rich nutrients and vitamin content.
- The inclusion of Antioxidant-rich foods in the diet will help control inflammation.
- Rejuvenation treatments like Njavarakizhi and Pizhichil help relax the nerves and thereby reduce stress and anxiety. The Stress hormone corticosteroid reduces the effectiveness of our immune system.
- Fibre-rich food is essential to control the gut microbes, thereby preventing any digestive tract infections and it has an effect in boosting immunity.
- Ayurveda suggests less consumption of anything in excess. Be it salt, sweet, spices, very hot or very cold substances, added sugars etc. to maintain a better immune system.
- Manage the sleep cycle. Sleep is essential for a body to maintain its healthy balance by repairing damaged cells, restoring energy, managing hormonal balance etc, which is performed during one’s sleep. For the body to boost its natural immunity, an adequate sleep time of 6 to 8 hours is required.
- Take time for yourself and perform exercises, meditation, yoga or any stress management activities. In Ayurveda, head massage with herbal infused oils is extremely helpful in managing stress levels.
- Vitamins D, E and C are much needed for a human body which can be added to your system by using suitable supplements made of various immunity-boosting herbs in Ayurveda which in turn helps boost the immune system.
Ayurveda can suggest a few herbal medications that can help improve immunity depending on the needs of the body as well as the dosha levels it displays.
- Arogyavardhini Vati
- Helps improve immunity against liver and skin conditions.
- Ashwagandhadi Lehyam
- Helps build strength and vitality.
- Amalaki Rasayana
- Helps build Ojas by detoxifying the body with Vitamin C.
- Agastya Haritaki Rasayana
- Helps improve the respiratory immune system.
- Brahma Rasayana
- A rejuvenating formula that assists anti-ageing and reduces fatigue.
- A herbal decoction for enhanced cardiac functioning, Immune strengthening, boosting respiratory health, and digestive functions.
- Narasimha Rasayanam
- Improves overall strength and is used to treat degenerative diseases.
- Lauha Bhasma
- Helps treat anaemia, liver conditions and cardiovascular health.
- Triphala Guggulu
- Helps boost bowel and vein health.
- Vasantha Kusumakara Rasa
- Helps treat diabetes, memory loss and urinary tract disorders.
At Ishani Ayurveda Yoga Heritage, an expert panel of Doctors and therapists devise treatment plans for a healthy immune system based on the body type of each person. The therapies are based on traditional and fundamental Ayurveda principles which help enhance the psychological as well as physiological well being of the person. Nestled in the goodness of nature, the calm surroundings and holistic approach we help you relax and rejuvenate your body, mind and soul with our immune-boosting treatments.